Where will my lack of ICT skills end up?

Graduating High School in 2015, the last years of my High School career I experienced teachers experimenting and implementing a variety of ICT's. In most cases, the more interesting ones such as interactive learning activities only lasted a couple of lessons. For others, PowerPoints and YouTube clips covered a lot of the time. For most of it, the ICT's that were used did not encourage Higher Order Thinking but more of a chance to daydream, or maybe that was the sixteen-year-old me.

Stepping out into this new world of teaching where ICTs are expected, I personally believe that school resources and whether students can afford BYOD need to be considered. At my previous prac, the teacher had a teacher laptop, a projector screen and a projector that mostly worked. His classroom was also the holding place for the set of class laptops for about ten classrooms. This school also still accepted handwritten assignments and also set assignments that were worksheets and did not require much use of internet access, if any. This was due to the fact that many families in this low-economic area could not afford to have laptops for each child and there might have been a family computer to share. For teaching in situations such as this, I believe that the teacher should be mindful of what ICT resources they implement in the classroom to expose students to an exciting world of learning, beyond PowerPoint, YouTube and typing what has been written down in Microsoft Word.

My two discipline teaching areas are Geography and Home Economics which I believe have major potential to implement and experiment with a large range of ICTs in the classroom. I'd like to think that the way that I deliver information to my students for learning is open to experimenting with different methods of technology. This would mean opening up my creative mind and letting go of some of the control that I like to have when basically doing everything. In my ideal future classroom, I would like together with ICTs so that students have the best possible exposure to their learning experience. In particular, when finding out how to create my own Google Map at the beginning of this unit, I was already thinking of how I can use this to implement into both my subject areas such as a culinary tour in Home Economics.

My emotions for beginning this unit are both excited to learn the variety of technologies that are out there and can be used in the classroom, but I am also nervous that I will not be able to understand the technology and jargon required to learn these methods.

My ICT experience in classrooms is very basic, mainly PowerPoint and YouTube but I was also excited how to use Adobe Spark last year while doing a Textiles Unit and brought this into my Prac classroom as something different which was then given out to the other Geography teachers.

Most importantly, I look forward to where this ICT journey will take me and what new things I will learn!

Comments