Digital Curation


Digital Curation is a concept that can also be referred to as content curation which according to Wikipedia "is the selection, preservation, maintenance, collection and archiving of digital assets". Starting a Twitter account yesterday and a Scoop.it account a few weeks away I have been blown away by what can be found to assist teaching and learning through from other fellow teachers across the world. 




I have to admit that I am probably on of those people that was described in this weeks content. Downloading and bookmarking so much content that you lose track of it all. I try to keep track of it downloading and moving it into folders and saving links to my desktop but in the midst of things I think, I'll sort that out later and just read the article or website. It isn't until the end (or even start of the following term) that I decide to sort out my content. Hence discovering and exploring the functionality of sites such as Scoop.it and Twitter, I have found a new and effective way to curate resources. As a professional this is a way of keeping my self organised and on top of my work, and not getting stuck in a rut because I cannot work due to mess. 
Image result for organised
Through exploring Scoop.it, Twitter and educational blogs so far, I have found that there is always so many resources to read and collect to curate. By collecting resources and ideas for teaching is useful to keep my students as learners engaged in what they need to know. However, before strategies and ideas can be presented in the classroom, they need to be reflected on. This involves sifting, sorting, choosing and assessing resources and how they will best fit the context, content and learners. Often, resources will then be re-purposed in the digital curation process for their desired use. This requires adapting them in the best possible way either for the curriculum area and requirements as well as for authentic and higher order digital learning. An effective teacher will engage in this process so that they can get and give the best to their students. I aim for this to be an effective way that I will be able to foster a love of learning within my students. I will endeavor to share the resources that I reflect and re-purpose so that I can give back to all the incredible teacher providing their life-saving resources and ideas. 

Comments